Mark Flood is CEO of Renatus Capital, an Irish Private Equity firm based in Dublin that backs ambitious management teams with supportive equity investment.
- What are your main priorities and goals in your role?
To make sure that we source good opportunities for our investors to invest equity in SMES, assess them, execute and help the companies realise their potential.
- What are your biggest challenges?
Trying to navigate an uncertain Brexit infested world.
- How do you keep your team/staff motivated?
Try to lead from front.
- What are the challenges facing your industry going forward?
There is a lot of money available to invest and the demand for investments is possibly a tad higher than the supply of great opportunities.
- What new trends are emerging in your industry?
People taking investment are more discerning thankfully and looking to the real value-add that comes with Investment.
- Are there any major changes you would like to see in your sector?
It would be helpful if Irish entrepreneurs could enjoy equal tax treatment to their UK counterparts and be liable to 10% Capital Gains tax on first 1m gain.
- Are you finding any skills gaps in the market?
It is a challenge to hire female graduates, but we are trying to work more on our employer branding to appeal to same.
- How did your strategy develop in the context of the banking crisis and economic crisis?
We were lucky to get our hands on a few good businesses when there was less money in the market.
- How will Brexit affect you, or have you started to feel the effects already?
Don’t mention the war!
- How do you define success and what drives you to succeed?
Success is about making a difference.
- What’s the best advice you’ve been given, or would give, in business?
If you have any doubt about the people involved, walk away.
- What have been your highlights in business over the past year?
Seeing the business we have invested in go from strength to strength.
- What’s next for your company?
Acquiring a UK based business.
- What opportunities or plans for growth do you see in 2019?
Bringing Succession solutions and backing great Irish companies to acquire in the UK is that we hope to see.
- Where do you want your business/brand to be this time next year?
To be seen to have great momentum with substance.